Sunday, January 20, 2013

Welcome to the Road to Retro!

I recently decided to turn my love of thrift store shopping into a little business. I have always enjoyed searching thrift stores, consignment stores, flea markets and other secondhand venues for bargains and the occasional "steal".  I have sold a few items on eBay and Etsy, but this is my first attempt to have a space in a real storefront at a flea market/antique mall. Unfortunately in the area where I wanted to have a space, there is a lot of demand, so I had to resort to being on a wait list for my top two desired flea markets. As far as the third place I inquired about, (just opened in Nov), there was a small shelf area available for $40/month. The good thing about this location is it is right off an exit on I-81, a major thoroughfare running N-S along the western part of Virginia where our home is. In addition, one must pass this flea market to go to Shenandoah Caverns, a major tourist stop in this area. I am hoping that this market will be an ideal place to set up shop, especially in the summer months when lots of folks visit the caverns. I especially like the owners who are very friendly and obviously love what they're doing.



My first task at hand was to figure out what items I decided I could part with. I have a habit of falling in love with my finds, even when I buy them specifically for resale. For example, I found this cute owl cookie jar at a Salvation Army Store that I was planning on reselling, but I decided I couldn't part with it, so it is sitting on a shelf in our home. 

 


Once I decided what to put in my space I searched Etsy and eBay to see if I could find the items and see what other sellers were pricing them for. On eBay you can even search completed listings. I tried to price my items close to what I saw on the Internet but also decided that I want to make 2-3 times what I paid. And I have to consider what type of customers will be shopping the flea market (tourists).

For sellers, a good website that is useful for seeing what the demographics are for stores in your area is www.bundle.com.


I spent about 2 hours the first afternoon putting stuff on the shelves and I wasn't very happy with the result. The shelves are very high in between which is a waste of space. I decided to go back the next day with some items to give me some vertical space to work to work with. I still had a few things that ended up on the floor. Hopefully the next time I go back I would have had enough sales to move things around (I even had a few sales while I was arranging my space). The results:








 

If you sell at flea markets or consignment stores, do you find it difficult to part with some of your favorite finds?









2 comments:

  1. A very nice start for your space! I like the added display boxes for making the best use of the high shelves. I'm like you I do keep some items I first intend to resell. Really if I weren't out looking for cool retro 60's items for my booth I'd never discover my next great collection....and heck I could never fit it all in my booth, so why not enjoy it at home...for awhile anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea Jolene! I do have a lot of things I could not fit in my space. So you're right, I can enjoy them at home for a time and then move them on so someone else can!

    ReplyDelete